Tuesday, November 2, 2010

An advance birthday gift!

I just arrived at home from work (yes, I worked on a holiday - All Saint's day!) and was greeted by my sister, Maricar who arrived from Batangas this evening. She was already half-asleep and told me not to get cookies from our kitchen which she bought from Bizu .  Just hearing the word Bizu, in a few seconds, my face transformed from excitement to disappointment  for she told me she bought the  cookies for a friend.  She knows I have been craving for some cookies in Bizu.Even as sleepy as she was, she laughed at the transformation of my face! Hahaha!  Oh well, I can't describe how that was.  LOL.
Cookies she bought for a friend. Hmm, I wonder to whom.



Until finally, I learned she was only kidding me and she told me I have a pack of 8 different flavors of  macaron de Paris!!!  She laughed again as my eyes sparkled of her news and told me it's her birthday present.  I immediately checked her present and was ecstatic seeing these beauties in our refrifgerator:


Aren't they beautiful?  I was too excited to munch them!  LOL.  Make a guess which I took first.


After about a minute or two, this is what was left. Hahaha! Talking about being ravenous...of sweets or of macaron de Paris to be specific. LOL.  I started with my favorite - Pistachio flavor, followed by Blueberry and Vanilla.  As of this writing, I only have three left as I already finished the mango and raspberry. Darn, I can't help it!



The truth is even if I was disappointed as the quality deteriorated, I could still finish all 8 flavors in one sitting.  That's how addicted I am with this French cookies.  I fell in love with them 5 years ago.  It started with reading too much about these cookies from the blog of  "The Girl Who Ate Everything" when she was still studying in Paris.   Then it progressed to visualizing how they taste like until I got my first bite from Bizu's branch in SM Mall of Asia before it closed. That didn't stop me there. When I learned there was a class offered by Chef Vicki Villanueva at Heny Sison Culinary School, I immediately signed up and took it. Unfortunately, I didn't practice what I learned for I didn't even try to bake a single cookie for I find them complex to make.

I hope one day I will have the courage and confidence to bake them.  I wish too that I will have the chance to go to Paris to taste the authentic ones from Laduree, Fauchon or Pierre Herme!

***Gracias, Maricar for the sweet treat!!!  :D



Nice to know facts from Wikipedia:

macaron is a sweet confectionery. Its name is derived from an Italian word "maccarone" or "maccherone". This word is itself derived from ammaccare, meaning crush or beat, used here in reference to the almond paste which is the principal ingredient.[1] It is meringue-based: made from a mixture of egg whites, almond flour, and both granulated and confectionery sugar.

The confectionery is characterized by its smooth, domed top, ruffled circumference (referred to as the "foot"), flat base, mildly moist and easily melted into mouths.[2] Connoisseurs prize a delicate, egg shell-like crust that yields to a moist and airy interior. The macaron is commonly filled with a buttercream or jam filling sandwiched between two macaron cookies.

Macarons can be found in a wide variety of flavors that range from the traditional (raspberry, chocolate) to the new (truffle, green matcha tea).[3] Since the English word macaroon can also refer to the Coconut macaroon, many have adopted the French spelling of macaron to distinguish the two items in the English language. However, this has caused confusion over the correct spelling of the cookie. Some recipes exclude the use of macaroon to refer to this French confection while others think that they are synonyms.[4]

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I thought they're Whoopie Pies coz they really look like one hihihi...Advance Happy Birthday! muah♥muah

    ReplyDelete
  2. ate marj, buri ko din takman den. anyway, happy birthday! cheers to a another year of enjoying life.. but i hope you get to share your wonderful life with someone special soon! muah

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Coline - I bet you love Whoopie Pies for you see those cuties as such. Heheh! Thanks for the greeting, dear. Mwah!

    @Arlene - Thanks for the greeting and wish. I hope too. Pag mig Binondo walk tamu di Nikki, I'll buy you a piece of that, cge. Hahah!

    ReplyDelete