Thursday, July 15, 2010

Last week's diary

Last week was a busy day for me.

Sunday - I reported to work as usual.

Monday - My mother and I went to Makati Medical to get the results of all the laboratory tests that her doctor requested as preparation for her operation. From there, we headed to St. Luke's Hospital to get a third opinion on her illness - a cyst  observed 8 years ago in her thyroid that two doctors already advised to have it removed immediately. The endocrinologist that our medical insurance referred to at St. Luke's gave the same feedback - to have a thyroidectomy ASAP since her last biopsy was already past 5 months and it showed significant findings. Right there and then, after contacting my other sisters, we decided to have the operation done at St. Luke's instead of Makati Medical.

My mom with her Fish Pomodoro meal at Delifrance  in St. Luke's where we had our lunch while waiting for the Endocrinologist's arrival.




From the hospital, after all was done for the preparation of the operation which was scheduled on Wednesday of the same week, we went to Banawe to meet my Aunt who was having her car reconditioned, brother-in-law, another sister and friend.  My aunt would treat us for dinner.  We decided to have it at Tong Yang in SM Megamall.  Thanks, Aunt Melda for the dinner treat!



Tuesday - I had to report back to work as I would be on leave on Wednesday and Thursday and I had to finish a number of tasks needed for the week.

Wednesday - I traveled with my father to St. Luke's in Manila and arrived there at 2 PM.  My mother's operation was scheduled at 4 PM.

I took this picture on our way to Manila.  Do you know this bridge?  We always pass by this Candaba viaduct whenever we travel to Manila.  When I was in college, I would travel weekly to go home and when I reached this bridge, my heart would leap for I know I will just be a few minutes away from home. Haha!  On some occasions, out of boredom, I would time the length this 5 km bridge would take to end and would always surprise me that it  would always give a result of  3 minutes via bus.  It always amazes me too that half of the bridge is part of Apalit, Pampanga while the other half is of Pulilan, Bulacan.



Before 4 PM while mother is waiting for her operation.



My mom is actually at the operating room while we were at Delifrance to have our dinner.  We got tensed in the room waiting for the operation to end so we decided to get out and have our dinner instead. Below is at Delifance with my three sisters, Maureen, Marinel and Maricar.


Thursday - A few hours after my mom's recovery from the operation, together with my sisters, Mau and Mye (shown on the pic below), we decided to go to SM Megamall to do a little shopping and grab a dinner treat.


Mau @ the newly-opened Forever 21 at SM Megamall. My sister, Maricar  finds it funny that she commented Mau loves having pictures taken at the mall. LOL. I can't blame Mau when she gets excited in a mall for she's deprived of this when she's at her husband's hometown in Isabela. Hahah!



Mau's husband, Mon gave a dinner treat  at Dad's in Megamall.  A very fattening and heavy dinner!  I consumed a plate of callos and chicken liver. Thanks, Mon!



Friday - My mom was discharged from the hospital before noon.  Art, my sister, Maritza's boyfriend gave us a lunch treat before we headed to Pampanga at Tong Yang's main branch at Quezon Avenue.  It was his birthday the day after and we didn't know.  Thanks, Art for the lunch treat and belated happy birthday!



Here's a picture of mom after the lunch treat at Tong Yang.  Check her wrist she still has the "bracelet" from the hospital. Hahaha!  It seems like she didn't have a recent operation for she finished all the food that I put on her plate which was A LOT!



Before going home, we passed by Marquee mall in Pampanga.  We were supposed to go to Trinoma but due to time constraint and vehicle coding, we decided to just go to Marquee Mall.


Maricar at Crazy Crepes finishing my mom's order of Banana-Caramel Crepe.



Saturday -  I just stayed at home but was busy for I assisted a helper in cleaning the house.  That concluded my week.


PS: Having an unexpected illness in the family made me realize that money and time will never be an issue.  All my sisters were able to come to Manila to share their time with my mom, even the two who were from distant places in the Philippines.  It was a reunion except that we missed our other sister who's currently in Vietnam.


We thank the Lord that even if the result of the cyst is malignant - Papillary Thyroid Cancer, the operation was successful and my mom was able to recover immediately and that her illness has a long life expectancy.   Thank you so much, Lord for more time with my mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment